Friday, February 2, 2007

FedEx Nightmare

What an amazing couple of days!! Yesterday, we see our little one's beautiful face for the first time and was able to see everyone to show off her picture. Her brothers and sister thought she was pretty cute. They are going to spoil her!! And...Mackenzie had an amazing basketball game and they won. It was the perfect day!!

Then...FedEx happened. After you hear about your referral and Harrah's (our adoption agency) emails you pictures, they FedEx you the referral package. This package is uber important because it has the acceptance letter that you must sign and send back in so that they can start working on getting your travel approval. So all day I waited and tracked our package...it was scheduled to arrive around 4:30. After school, I was getting a headache so Keith told me to go home and he would wait in the office for it to arrive. He waits...and waits...and waits... A little after 5:00, we finally decide to leave a note on the door to come to our house which is just down the street from the school.

Long story short...FedEx came at 3:59 to the wrong door...not the main door to the school but the side door that was locked so they stuck a note on the door that they couldn't deliver because no one was there. After a very long phone conversation, where I stressed how very important this package was, I had two options...drive all the way to their substation which is near the Midland Airport (only about 60 miles away) or wait until Monday and they would 'try' again to deliver it. Of course, I was in my car in an instant. If they would have tried a little harder to deliver the package, I would have been more understanding but the main door that was open was literally 100 feet away from the locked one. But all is well that ends well...we have our package and can send in our approval letter asap. And...Logan's team also won his basketball game tonight (although I missed it because I had to drive to Midland...aughhhhh!!)

Jaci is residing at the Yangjiang Social Welfare Institute in the Guangdong Province. I will try to post a map tomorrow. The major city here is Guangzhou which is also where the American Consulate is located. We should travel in about 4 - 6 weeks. I have so much to do!!

Thanks for all of the great comments!

7 comments:

E R I C A said...

Erin,

You're daughter is beautiful, brings tears to my eyes. What an expressive face.

Sorry to hear about Fed Ex. Just be glad that your I171H isn't messed up like mine :(

Erica (from RQ site)
https://www.luckiestmama.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

FedEx is lucky you didn't track down that driver and teach him a lesson! Do not get between a momma and her baby's pictures! Your daughter is lovely. Congratulations!

Heather said...

Congratulations on your referral! Jaci is a beautiful girl. We feel your delivery service pain. DHL lost our referral package (and 63 other families too), as in LOST, lost forever with no explanation or recovery of documents still almost a year later. Best wishes for a speedy travel aproval and wonderful journey to Jaci.

Nesting For Natalie said...

Erin,

Jaci is lovely!! And so is her name!

Amy C
OCT 8 LID
FEB 1 Referral
My daughter is also Guangdong!

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Seven Alexanders said...

Celebrating that another Yangjiangster is coming home!
Kathy
Mom to five, one from Yangjiang!

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm one of your husband's former students. I spent a year in China (Aug 2005-July 2006), and I'm so excited about Jaci! I just had to tell you that right before I left for China, I had to send my passport to California (and I think the people in CA were going to send it on to China)so I could get my visa. Somehow, FedEx managed to lose it!!! I hadn't checked the box on the air bill that said it contained contents more valuable than $100, so I had to spend $400 to get a passport via a courier agency in Washington DC so I could get it to the authorities in time!! Then, after FedEx lost my passport, they couldn't manage to deliver my new one on time!!! I feel your pain about the Fed Ex deal! How strange we were both trying to get something done involving China!